In an often turbulent world for investors it’s fair to say that underperforming markets coupled with lower than average insurance rates have resulted in little in the way of returns for those choosing to invest in the traditional avenues of stocks and shares or bonds.
If you’re cautious about finding ways to invest or make money in ever uncertain economic times, there is another way forward and that is to look at investing in precious metals, as it can often yield excellent returns for your outlay.
Table of Contents
- Investing in precious metals like gold offers a diversification tool that can reduce overall portfolio risk, especially when traditional markets like stocks and bonds are underperforming.
- Gold, in particular, serves as a hedge against inflation and economic uncertainties, showing long-term appreciation despite short-term fluctuations.
- Directly purchasing gold bullion offers a stable investment that remains unaffected by financial market volatility and can be supplemented over time with other metals like silver or platinum.
- Mutual funds specialising in investing in precious metals provide a flexible investment option with some risk, while precious metal certificates offer ownership without the need for physical storage.
- Individual Retirement Accounts (IRAs) that incorporate precious metals offer long-term investment opportunities with tax benefits, adding an extra layer of security to retirement savings.
Why Investing in Precious Metals is a Good Idea
As solid materials that always remain in demand, precious metals serve as a diversification tool within an investment portfolio. Their value doesn’t always correlate with traditional assets like stocks and bonds, which can help reduce overall portfolio risk.
Gold is the most popular example of this, ranking high among the most sought-after assets for investing in precious metals.
During times of economic instability, it often retains its purchasing power. That makes the metal a hedge against inflation and economic uncertainties. Furthermore, it has shown long-term appreciation. While its value can experience fluctuations, its potential for growth over time makes it an attractive investment.
If you want to pursue gold as an investment, here are some approaches you can take to make it an asset in your portfolio.
In truth, purchasing bullion is not really a new idea. For centuries cautious investors have been using this as a way to make and save money, when other methods aren’t offering the financial compensation they’d like. As an initial idea, think about making a purchase of a 1oz Gold Bar, which is a low premium way of owning the metal.
It means that whatever else happens within the financial markets, that particular investment will stay safe. You can always add to, or increase the amount of gold you purchase another time, or even look into investing in silver or precious platinum.
Look into the Prospect of a Mutual Fund
If buying straight into precious metals doesn’t really appeal or still feels a bit too risky as a first move, look into the idea of investing in mutual funds. It’s fair to say that these still do carry a slight risk with them, but the main benefit of this type of investment is that it has much more flexibility to it.
Precious Metal Certificates
One other avenue to look at is getting precious metal certificates, which are a way of owning precious metals without actually having to have them stored somewhere in your home or other safe place.
The information on the certificate itself will show how much gold you own and state that it is stored in a safe place, usually via the company that have issued the certificate. You can collect and retrieve your gold to keep with you at any time.
Working with IRAs
For those looking to invest for the long-term, Individual Retirement Accounts (IRAs) are your best course of action. They’re designed to encourage individuals to save for their retirement years by providing tax benefits and investment options.
Great IRA providers, like Goldco, gladly incorporate precious metals like gold, giving you access to an asset not tied solely to market performance. In turn, that gives you more security in your future investment prospects.
Make sure to work with IRA providers that offer transparent fee structures, excellent and scalable security and storage options, much leeway in your management options, and dependable customer support.
Major Precious Metals for Investment and Their Advantages
Gold isn’t the only precious metal to consider buying for investment purposes. This is a summary of the major precious metals an investor should be considering:
- Why Consider: Gold is often viewed as the quintessential safe-haven asset. It has historically maintained its value over time and is resistant to inflation. During economic downturns or geopolitical tensions, gold prices often rise as investors seek stability.
- Hedge against inflation
- Portfolio diversification
- Liquidity (easy to buy and sell)
- Why Consider: Silver is another popular choice among precious metal investors. It’s more affordable than gold, making it accessible to retail investors. Silver also has industrial uses, including in electronics and solar panels, which can drive demand.
- Industrial demand
- High potential for returns
- Why Consider: Platinum is rarer than both gold and silver and has a variety of industrial applications, including in automotive catalytic converters. Its rarity can make it more volatile, but it also provides opportunities for higher returns.
- Industrial applications
- Volatility offers high return potential
- Why Consider: Palladium is primarily used in automotive exhaust systems and in various types of manufacturing. Its price can be highly volatile, but it’s generally on an upward trend due to supply constraints and increasing demand.
- Industrial demand
- Supply constraints can drive up prices
- Suitable for risk-tolerant investors
- Why Consider: Rhodium is one of the rarest and most valuable precious metals. It’s mainly used in automotive catalytic converters. The price of rhodium can be extremely volatile but offers the potential for significant returns.
- Extreme rarity
- High demand in the automotive industry
- Potential for significant returns
Thinking about it in practical terms, it stands to reason that making investing in precious metals makes good sense. After all, they’ve been around for hundreds of years and over that period many millions of people have chosen to put their money into purchasing gold, silver and platinum.
In the financially uncertain times we live in right now, there is a lot to be said for relying on a truly old school way of getting a good return for your money.
This article is for information and educational purposes only and does not form a recommendation to invest or otherwise. The investments referred to in this article may not be suitable for all investors, and if in doubt, an investor should seek advice from a qualified investment adviser.