Do you know how big your carbon footprint is? Being green around the home is easy, and once you’ve made a few small ecologically-minded adjustments to your lifestyle you can make a real difference without feeling inconvenienced. Follow these top tips and before long you’ll be acting in a more eco-friendly way and saving yourself a bundle, without even noticing…
- Don’t leave the television on standby, switch it off.
- If you wash clothes at 30 degrees then you will use around 40% less electricity than a hotter wash.
- Energy saving light bulbs last 12 times longer than the traditional ones, meaning you could save up to £100 over the life of the bulb.
- Always switch the heating off when you go out or away. Set the timer so it starts heating when it suits you.
- Unplug your mobile after it has charged otherwise it will continue to draw electricity.
- Only fill the kettle as much as you are going to use.
- Turning down your thermostat even by 1 degree could save you £30 a year.
- Cook at lower temperatures. Maximise the heat by putting lids on pots and pans.
- Turn down your water tank to 60 degrees and save £10 a year.
- Replace your antiquated boiler with a new boiler and you will run a much more ecologically-sound household, saving yourself up to £200 annually.
Individually, these steps don’t appear to save much money, but collectively you could be saving hundreds. A few small measures could really help your finances, and if everyone took them then we’d seriously do some good to the environment by reducing our carbon emissions. British Gas can help with advice and energy-efficient products and offer a reliable boiler maintenance service.
Remember, it is easy being green.