We place our trust in health care professionals however mistakes can be made and people can suffer as a result.Clinical Negligence
Clinical negligence sadly affects many people across the world on a daily basis.
Clinical negligence is when a person sustains injury during medical or dental care due to negligence, a breach of contract or a breach of statutory duty.
The consequences of clinical negligence can vary greatly in intensity however advice and support regarding compensation is available for every victim.
A few examples of clinical negligence include:
- Surgical errors
- Birth injuries
- Infections and infectious diseases due to improper treatment and aftercare
- Misdiagnosis and late diagnosis of life threatening conditions such as cancer
The Law Society provides a Clinical Negligence Accreditation Scheme where all accredited clinical negligence solicitors are listed.
Although compensation does not rectify the damage that has been caused it provides monetary relief for the consequences of clinical negligence, whether it is for treatment or to provide support when you are limited for work due to injury.
Claims can be made against:
- NHS hospital trusts
- Private practising Doctors
To claim compensation for medical negligence your claim must be made within three years of your knowledge that the injury was a result of medical negligence.
Compensation claims can be very costly due to the associated legal costs.
- Solicitor’s fees
- Barrister’s fees
- Court fees
- Expert’s fees
- Fees for obtaining records
However, there are ways you get help to cover these costs:
- No win no fee solicitors-fees are only paid if the case is won
- Legal expenses insurance-some people are covered for the costs of the legal fees associated with a personal injury claim by their home or car insurance.
- Legal aid-only for cases where babies under eight weeks of age have suffered a neurological injury
- Private pay-where you as an individual pay for the costs privately
It is important to discuss these options with your solicitor to ensure you find the best option for you.
Free advice is given initially by Bolt Burdon Kemp which are specialist compensation claim solicitors that work for you to win you the compensation you deserve, therefore if you have suffered from medical negligence contact them today to discuss your case.